The Freimann Collection
The Freimann Collection comprises the literature of Science of Judaism (Wissenschaft des Judentums) in European languages and is part of the historic Judaica collection.
It was created at the end of the 19th century through generous donations of Frankfurt Jewish philanthropists.
Professssor Dr. Aron Freimann, long-time curator until 1933, formed it into the most significant Judaica collection of the European continent before World War II. In 1932 a catalog of all titles was published, reprinted in 1968 as bibliography thus compiling the complete historic literature of Wissenschaft des Judentums.
Due to National Socialism and the Second World War the collection suffered partial losses and is no longer complete.
This portal aims to create a complete digital collection of the historic resources by complementing it with digital facsimiles of the missing titles from other libraries all over the world. The database offers various search options, downloading and printing of the texts.
The project was sponsored by the German Research Foundation (DFG) in the years of 2007-2010 and carried out in cooperation with Prof. Dr. Hans Otto Horch, former Professor at the Lehr- und Forschungsgebiet Europäisch-Jüdische Literatur- und Kulturgeschichte at the RWTH Aachen University. Various libraries have contributed digital facsimiles to the portal.
Since 2011 the project continues in cooperation with the Center for Jewish History / Leo Baeck Institute in New York and is sponsored by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and the National Endowment of the Humanities (NEH).
All Titles | Contact | Judaica