The library holds a large collection of historic resources of Jewish cultural heritage spread throughout the different collections of the library. It is made available here online in a thematic database and comprises:
- Rothschildiana – books and pictures concerning the Rothschild family
- Historic collection about the history of the Jews in Frankfurt
- Frankfurt Hebrew prints - books printed in the city in Hebrew and Yiddish in the 17th and 18th century
- Hebrew religious publications of the 16th and 17th century
- Yiddish literature and theatre as well as a collection of sheet music of Yiddish songs
About the project Judaica Europeana
The database is carried out in the framework of Judaica Europeana, a consortium of 30 partners in Europe, Israel and the United States, led by the Frankfurt University Library, the European Association for Jewish Culture and the National Library of Israel.
The resources are presented in Europeana with the aim to provide integrated access to digital content which documents the Jewish presence and heritage in Europe. The database was co-funded by the European Commission under the eContentplus programme. With Judaica Europeana the library is involved in the Digital Manuscripts to Europe (DM2E) project which develops new tools and services for re-use of Europeana data in the Digital Humanities.